Freitag, 4. März 2011

Karadic Trial and General Jovan Divjak arrested

/en/file/show/Radovan_Karadzic (photo by Mikhail Evstafiev).jpg
04 Mar 2011 / 08:00

Witness Describes Detention Camps at Karadzic Trial

In his testimony at Radovan Karadzic's trial, Mehmed Music says he spent five months in various detention centres controlled by Serb authorities in Hadzici in 1992, while Karadzic calls him a "favourite prosecution witness".

Ex-Bosnian army general: Jovan Divjak arrested

Ex-Bosnian army general arrested
4 March 2011 | 09:32 | Source: B92, Tanjug
VIENNA — Former general of the Army of Bosnia-Herzegovina Jovan Divjak was arrested at Vienna International Airport on Thursday.
Johan divak
His arrest was based on an international warrant on charges of war crimes committed in Sarajevo in May 1992, Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dačić has told Tanjug.
Dačić said that Divjak had been brought before the judge on Thursday and that the judge would decide whether to detain him.
According to information from the Bosnian embassy in Vienna, Divjak (73) was arrested based on a red Interpol warrant dating from 2008, which was issued by Serbia.
Prior to joining the Muslim-led Bosnian Army, Divjak was a general in the former Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA).
Serbia issued the international warrant seeking his arrest over charges of committing a war crime against JNA members in Sarajevo.
According to the information from Vienna, general Divjak was arrested late Thursday at Schwehat Airport while on a flight from Sarajevo to Bologna.
He is currently placed in an investigation detention center, from where he will be taken before the investigative judge.
The news about Divjak’s arrest was broadcast as a breaking news on the national Bosnian television channel, and was also confirmed by Bosnian Ambassador in Vienna Haris Hrle.
Divjak was arrested on the same warrant as Ejup Ganić, whom Serbia charged with responsibility for dozens of deaths and injuries of withdrawing JNA troops in Sarajevo’s Dobrovoljačka St. in May 1992.
Ganić was detained in Britain last year, but a London judge found against his extradition, saying the trial against him in Serbia would be “political”.

1 Kommentar:

  1. 20 years since massacre of ambushed JNA troops

    BELGRADE -- Tuesday marks 20 years since the ambush on a convoy of soldiers of the former Yugoslav Peoples' Army (JNA) that was retreating from Tuzla, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

    The deadly attack happened on May 15, 1992, resulting in at least 50 JNA soldiers killed and 44 wounded.

    The case, treated as a war crime by the Serbian judiciary, is known as the Tuzla Column.

    The deadly attack took place only 12 days after a similar ambush staged in Sarajevo's Dobrovoljačka Street, when Bosnian Muslim paramilitary unit "the Green Berets", along with the Patriotic League and Bosnian Territorial Defense killed at least 42 JNA troops.

    The Hague Tribunal assigned the letter A to four suspects in the Tuzla Column case, which means that based on the supplied evidence, it was determined that there had been a war crime committed and enough evidence to prosecute the persons.

    However, in December 2009, the Bosnian Prosecutor's Office suspended the investigation against Tuzla's wartime mayor Selim Beslagić and other suspects.

    In 2009, Belgrade District Court sentenced Ilija Jurišić, wartime police commander from Tuzla, to 12 years in prison for his involvement in the war crime, but in 2010, the Court of Appeal in Belgrade overturned the sentence, ordering a re-trial, which is underway before the Belgrade special court.

    Jurišić, then a senior police official and duty officer in the Tuzla public security center operational headquarters, was found guilty of improper battlefield conduct. He is charged with acting on an order of a superior of his and instructing Bosnian-Croatian units to attack the JNA convoy that was peacefully retreating from the city.

    The re-trial in the Jurišić case began in July 2011. Jurišić has in the meantime returned to Bosnia.

    Media in Bosnia's Serb entity, RS, have been reporting that, according to information collected by RS authorities, at least 59 JNA soldiers were killed, while about 150 were wounded or taken prisoners only in the part of Tuzla known as Brčanska Malta.

    According to some media and other sources in the Muslim-Croat Bosnian Federation entity, “the balance sheet of the battle is 160 killed and 200 wounded JNA soldiers", Tanjug is reporting.